What is DWP assistance?

If you are in receipt of a qualifying benefit, the DWP (Department of Work and Pensions) may be able to make a payment to help towards the cost of the funeral.

Qualifying benefits include:

  • Universal Credit
  • Income Support
  • Income-based Job Seekers Allowance
  • Income related ESA
  • Pensions Credits
  • Housing Benefits
  • Disability or Severed Disability element of Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Support for Mortgage Interest Loan

If you are eligible, Funeral Expenses Payment can help pay for some of the costs of the following:

  • Burial fees for a particular plot
  • Cremation fees, including the cost of the doctor’s certificate
  • Travel to arrange or go to the funeral
  • The cost of moving the body within the UK, if it’s being moved more than 50 miles
  • Death certificates or other documents

You can also get up to £1,000 for any other funeral expenses, such as funeral director’s fees, flowers or the coffin.

The payment will not usually cover all of the costs of the funeral.



How to make a claim for funeral costs 

At Hayley Owen Funeral Director's, we have the Social Fund application forms readily available and can offer advice and guidance in filling it out correctly. A claim for DWP assistance must be made within six months of the funeral, but it is advisable to make the claim as soon as possible. You can make a claim before the funeral if you’ve got an invoice or signed contract from the funeral director. It cannot be an estimate.

Please note that while we can offer valuable assistance in making a claim, unfortunately, we cannot follow up on any claim on your behalf. Please call the Department of Work and Pensions direct on 0800 151 2012 to ensure that your claim has been received.

You can also download the claim form (SF200) here.

gov.uk logo